Monday, June 18, 2007

Them's Fightin' Words

As you probably know, there was another ejection Saturday. Derek Lee had a high and tight one come at his head and there was some jawing going on between Lee and Chris Young for the Padres. Much speculation is that this is in retaliation for Alfonso Soriano's admiration of a dinger he hit (instead of putting his head down and running the bases). It is being reported on Chicago radio that Young said "I wasn't aiming for your body. I was trying to take your ******* head off." Lee went off and threw some windmill punches that never landed. I was somewhat surprised when I saw it, because normally he's such a great contact hitter. Obviously he got run and so did the pitcher. Our hitting coach who was pulling Jake Peavy off Lee was also run along with Peavy (who stated the day before that he was upset with Soriano for the slow homer trot).

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/bobby-cox-you-are-ejected-please-leave-the-bench/

Here is an interesting article on getting tossed. Apropos considering our amazing amount of ejections the past couple weeks. It is about Bobby Cox (who I despise), but there were some Cubs stats in there as well. Piniella, Durocher and Frankie Frisch, are on the top 10 all time. As well, I found the World Series ejections particularly entertaining. The Cubs are rarely in The Series, but look at how many times players and/or managers have been tossed! 3 Players in 1935 and 2 in 1910 including manager and famed double play combo anchor, Frank Chance. That's 22% of all WS ejections. FYI: Bench jockeying is yelling at someone from the dugout (had to look that one up). I also loved reading the reasons for the ejections. Proof of the old adage that arguing balls and strikes will get you tossed (almost) every time. Almost half of Cox's ejections are for critiquing the home plate umpire's zone.

3 comments:

Cub Tattoo said...

TT: Looks like the Cubs got hosed in 1910. A bad call on a home run and a bad call at the plate. I wasn't there but at least thats how the Cubs saw it.

I would have guessed Earl Weaver was the leader and was amazed that Durocher was right behind him. Also where is Billy Martin on that list?

Ahhh, I long for the old days of bats and balls flying out of the dugout, guys pulling the bases up and throwing them around, kicking dirt on the ump, etc. Good stuff!

The George Brett incident is my all time favorite baseball argument. When the ump points into the dugout and calls him out, GB goes off like an animal. The story behind the story here is that Billy Martin knew for a long time that Bretts bat was illegal but he waited until Brett hit a homer to challenge. He even had the bat boy steal one of Bretts bats the previous time the Royals played the Yanks. Typical Billy Martin! He was fun to watch and good for baseball. BTW: Billy died when he wrecked his truck after a long night out drinking.

dapperdre said...

ok, this to me is a big f'in red flag that the dug out is out of control and Lou needs to go. Why you ask......because d lee the majority of the time is very mild manner and rarely raises his voice and now he's throwing huge punches and talking smack. With all the fighting and smack talking (with other teams and in the dug out its self) so far NOT EVEN half way through the season I think is a direct reflection of Lou. Maybe instead of thinking about Baltimore or even the Yanks, maybe Girardi, who I thought should have been the choice of the Cubs, can think about Chi town. There is NO way Lou should be back.

Tim Tremendous said...

CT: I love that George Brett clip as well. I've seen it many times now. I think that is great about Billy Martin waiting until Brett hit a homer.

DD: I don't agree that Lou needs to go. Pretty short shelf-life if you're only giving him 1/3 of a season before pulling the plug. I like Girardi, but I think the Lou signing was better. We have lots of vets and I thought Lou would go over better with them. Plus you get things like Alan Trammel as your bench coach. Joe doesn't pull that kind of weight just yet. I'd like to see him here in 3 or 4 years. He'll be definitely free by then if he takes that Orioles job (what a crappy situation).