Monday, June 4, 2007

At Least God Understands Big Z

Michael Barrett did an interview with a local TV station Sunday night, but I did not see it and cannot find any post-fight pictures. From accounts heard on the Score, his face looked like a combination of a pepperoni pizza and a road map. Reports say that Zambrano landed 8 punches in the Rumble in the Clubhouse. My question is, how did these punches get counted? I can think of 2 explanations:

1. They counted the fist imprints on Barrett's face afterward.
2. People were watching this fight go on and not stopping it right away.

I know professional boxers can rip off punches with lightning speed, but every fight that I have seen first hand has been at a much slower pace, with grasping and missed punches in between landed blows. If people followed them back in the clubhouse and heard the storm brewing, how can this happen? Barrett has always been the least hated starting catcher in town, but maybe that's not the case any more.

Furthermore, Zambrano was quoted as saying that the fight was his fault, but in later interviews he mentioned that "only God can stop my temper." Now, that's the kind of responsibility I like to see my pro athletes take! Maybe we lump Zambrano in with Mike Vick
and Tony LaRussa and have a pity party. I'm not sure what kind of punishment you can give Z, since it will likely hurt the team, but comments like that just pisses me off.

1 comment:

Tim Tremendous said...

Wow, that is quite a comment by Big Z. Only God can stop my temper?!? Wow.

His is a temper issue, it is not like he is running a felonious dog fighting ring in his house or slept through a couple green lights with his foot on the break while the cops across the street watched. This is also his first fight.

Pierzynski is still more of a sonofabitch. Man, I hate that guy.