Friday, March 14, 2008

2nd Fiddle

Lou is experimenting with new lineups. He is batting Fonzy second to save his legs (less base stealing). I'm really unsure of the logic there, but that's for another post. I don't imagine it'll last long (unless the Brian Roberts trade goes through), but Soriano has already made it known that he's not happy. Alfonso Soriano doesn't like hitting with guys on base in front of him. What?!?!? No wonder he only knocked in 70 ribbis last year with a .560 slugging percentage. Guys on base throw him off his game:
"I never batted second in the big leagues, but the first at-bat was with somebody on base," said Soriano, who was 1-for-3. "I didn't feel very comfortable. But it's the first at-bat. I will have to make a couple little adjustments batting second because I never batted second."
You've got to be freakin' kidding me! I support this guy all the time when BudMan rips him. I know the contract is horrible, but now we've got him and he's our guy. He's not the best player in the league, but he's a really useful guy who does hit really well. But when he says something like this, I don't even know where to start. It bears mentioning that as a whole, hitters do better with men on base because of the pitcher throwing from the stretch and the guy holding the runner on, which opens up holes in the infield.

No comments: