Monday, November 5, 2007

Start the Healing

So, the World Series ended last week with the Red Sox winning their second championship in 4 years. I watched it with Divya and Guatam, who went to school in Boston. I really enjoy explaining the game I love so much. D&G are Red Sox fans and know plenty about baseball, but I love answering questions about the game and describing the intricacies. They seemed to enjoy it as well, asking me lots of questions. I just love postseason baseball so much.

The Cubbies made the playoffs after clinching the Central. As you probably know, they were swept out of the playoffs by the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Cubs played poorly as a team, with the most painful performance being that Aramis Ramirez did not get a hit in the 3 game series. But baseball is a team game and we didn't pitch particularly well either. The big story there was that Zambrano was taken out of game one after just 85 pitches. I don't really fault Lou for this. Despite not giving up many runs, Z had gotten himself in trouble several times during that game and turning it over to Marmol (who was one of the best relievers in baseball this year) was questionable, but certainly defendable. We pay him to make the hard decisions.

Everyone knows I'm a big Cubs fan and when we got swept, everyone wanted to talk about it. I don't think dad and I talked about it for a couple days afterwards. It is painful to get swept, but you have to remember the good. We lost 96 games last year and were the worst in the NL. That is a huge turn around. The Cubs have proven they are willing to do what it takes to put a contender on the field and I'm looking forward to the offseason.

I don't expect huge splashes, but we certainly have some needs. I'd like to see Woody re-signed. I'd like to bolster the pitching, even if just in minor ways like that. I think he deserves a 2 year deal. More pressing, we are going to need a centerfielder or corner outfielder. The Cubs did not pick up the option on Floyd. So, you've got Jacque Jones to play right or center. I'd like to see a corner outfielder with some power or a centerfielder who really gets on base. The centerfielder market is deep this year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubbies make a play for one of them.

The rest of the year after baseball is always slow, but now that the offseason is here, you can start the speculation. You can start running the numbers. The Hot Stove is just starting to warm. I hate winter, but there will be some sporadic updates to the site. I'll leave you with my favorite baseball quote, it is about the offseason and is from a Cubs 2nd baseman.

“People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” - Rogers Hornsby

I couldn't have said it better myself. Last year pitchers and catchers reported on my birthday. I can't wait until I turn 27.

1 comment:

Cub Tattoo said...

I still ain't to happy even thinkin about it!