Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's Gonna Happen

My Cubbies have been on a major roll. Despite the national sports media constantly talking smack, my Cubbies have won 9 of their last 11 and only have 3 less wins than the NL East leading Mets. So much for saying no one wanted to take control and win the NL Central. My Cubbies are making a push in a major way to take control. The hitters are hitting like I've never seen. Mark DeRosa's batting average rose 10 points in the last 10 games, including 5 points against the Reds in a 3 game series (he was 9/10)!

Despite being at the bottom of the league in homers all season, the Cubs are leading the league in homers in September. Aramis Ramirez hit a pair of 3-run homers yesterday and a 2-run shot today. The Fonz has hit 4 dingers in the last 3 games and 12 this month!

These offensive outpourings have masked a couple pretty bad games by the staff (the last 2 days). The Cubs have scored 22 runs against the Pirates in the first two games of the series. Unfortunately, they've given up 13 to the lowly Pirates. Hopefully another rest day on Monday will give the bullpen some rest and the starters can get it under control. We have got to have Z, Lilly, Hill and Marquis all clicking if we are going to make the playoffs and make a run. Converting Traschel (The Rascal as CubsTattoo calls him) and Marshall to long relief pitchers in the postseason could be a huge advantage.

So start the countdown (I've been doing it for 2 weeks now; I taped a schedule to my door). The magic number is 7 and the Brewers game vs. the Braves is just starting (Braves up 2-0 early). Any win by My Cubbies or loss by the hated Brewers brings the magic number down by 1. When the magic number is 0, we have clinched.

Just a week left in the season... things are looking really good... so here we go... I'm going to say it... It's Gonna Happen.

1 comment:

Cub Tattoo said...

TT: I agree! After your comments our Ace stepped up and threw a gem today. 6 inns 3 hits, he struck out the first 4 batters in the game. He was in the mid 90's all day, even 95 and 96. He had his good stuff that's for sure. Thats why he's our Ace!

And as its been all month, our offense showed up big time. You know when Cedeno starts poking it out for insurance runs, the stars are aligned. What a perfect time for our stars to all be on their game. Think I heard we have 13 or more hits in 6 of last 8 games.

The Brewers found a way to blow another lead and I think they are defeated.

Get right with the Lord, My Cubbies are going to the playoffs!