Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Solid Up the Middle

I'll have to admit, I was very skeptical of the Hendry trade of Barrett 3 1/2 weeks ago, but maybe it wasn't just a personality dump. Thanks to stat of the week, I saw these numbers:

Padres Record with Barrett starting: 2-8
Padres Record with Baird starting: 6-1
Cubs Record with Hill starting: 7-3
Cubs Record with Bowen starting: 5-3

There were also numbers about how many more passed balls and wild pitches Mr Barrett allows than the other 3 catchers. I understand that the sample size is small, but these numbers are remarkable. I typically evaluate all field players worth exclusively with offensive production, but it appears that this may be a big mistake with catchers. For example, I was listening to a game against the Nationals in which Hughes mentioned that Cubs catchers were 0 for their last 36! Man, that tells you that Big Z and Marquis are better hitters than these guys, which I guess is a good thing so that they can be on base for our power hitting lead-off hitter.

No comments: